Version 2.2 of the dLibra system has been released. We present changes and new features introduced in version 2.2 of the dLibra system.
Changes in administrator and editor application
- General changes
- User guide is available in two forms: PDF and HTML
- Extended possibilities of MARC 21 import Import from MARC 21 files has been extended by a possibility to remove characters from the beginning and/or from the end of MARC subfield.
- Extended possibilities of RDF import It is possible to import RDF both from DublinCore schema and from schema of specific library which is able to export bibliographic description in RDF format.
- MARC and RDF import configuration Configuration files for MARC and RDF import can be placed both in directory on hard drive and under specified link on the Internet.
- New about window “About dLibra” has been added to Help menu. It presents basic information about administrator and editor application.
- Changes in editor application
- New icons The most important icons: – collection – directory – current edition – edition which is not published – edition which is published – publication without content (light deleted) – group publication – planned publication – publication – attribute
- “Collections” tab removed from editor application “Collections” tab was removed from editor application. In administrator application when collection is selected beside possibility to grant rights (version 2.0) it is also possible (from version 2.2) to edit collection and assign publications to this collection. Thus, from version 2.2 editing and managing collection is placed in one place − it is in administrator application.
Collection management is possible only in administrator application:
- New user interface for bibliographic description New user interface replaces old panel for editing description and old panel for presenting description − new interface combines easy description editing with clear presentation of description. Bibliographic description can be edited without using the mouse (with the use of keyboard) which improves working with application. Autocomplete mechanism (see next section) helps editors use attributes dictionaries.
In new interface there is also an information about the type of description:
Detailed description of bibliographic description editor can be found in user guide, section 3.1.4 “Bibliographic description editor”.
- Autocomplete mechanism for bibliographic description When typing bibliographic description complete propositions are presented. The complete propositions are values taken from attributes dictionaries. This mechanism helps to avoid mistakes by complete propositions to typed in letters. Complete propositions are presented in a widow which shows when the editor types in the value (see the picture below).
- Application modes Application may work either in advanced and simple mode. In advanced mode application behaves the same as in previous versions. In simple mode directories tree is simplified. In simple mode every publication which has only one edition (beside current one) consists of files of this edition.
Every modification concerning publication can be done on tabs which show when publication is selected
User can switch application modes in “View” menu (click Advanced mode position) or in program configuration on “Program settings” tab.
Simple mode allows user to modify all publication properties faster (i.e. mark the edition as published) and to retrieve information at once (all the information about publication and its edition are available when publication is selected).
- Publications without content − publications light deleted From version 2.2 light deleted publication is called publication without content therefore instead of “Light delete” we have “Delete content”.
- Different icons for current and published edition – current edition – edition which is not published – edition which is published
Edition A is not published, edition B is published.
- New publication wizard has been rebuilt and extended The first step In New publication wizard is main file selection which allows to determine automatically file format (values for attribute which has Format role in DublinCore can be filled automatically).
New step for describing publication’s edition has been addend (WWW information and miniature can be specified in this step).
- New edition wizard has been extended Two steps has been added. These steps allow user to specify bibliographic description and WWW information.
- 10. NEW FEATURE: From version 2.2 it is possibile to replace content of specific file version New position which allows replacing file version content has been added to file version context menu.
- “Actualize files” replaced by “Add new files versions” From version 2.2 “Actualize files” is called “Add new files versions”. These changes are present in application menu
and in popup menu.
- Changes in administrator application
- Toolbar has been removed
- Tree like structure for attributes In version 2.2 dLibra system it is possible to define attributes in hierarchical manner. It means that it is possible that attribute has subattributes. For example attribute Identifier may have ISBN, ISSN and DOI (Digital Object Identifier) subattributes.
Subattributes values are also attribute value. It means that Identifier will have all the values from ISBN, ISSN and DOI subattributes plus values assigned directly to it.
- New user wizard has been changed New user wizard allows editor to enter all the information needed to fully describe user.
- New LDAP group wizard has been changed New LDAP group wizard allows editor to enter all the information needed to fully describe LDAP group.
- New group wizard has been changed New group wizard allows editor to enter all the information needed to fully describe group.
- Collection management interface has changed User interface to assign publications to collection has completely been changed. In version 2.2 in order to assign publication to collection you have to check publication.
Distributed Search – based on OAI-PMH protocol, allows to search other digital libraries’ resources. To use this feature you have to check option in searching form.
It is possible to create RSS feed with information of recently added publications. To specify the content of feed use the latest publication form.
Search in catalog, from dLibra 2.0 was extended by possibility to: search in content of publications and search by time (when publication was published in digital library).
RSS feeds in readers application
DLibra 2.2 presents some new RSS feeds features. It handles two standards of RSS feeds : RSS 1.0 and RSS 2.0. And introduce new feeds:
- Planned publications for each collection
- Latest publication for each collection (description)
- Search results (description)
Search results as a RSS feed
Search results are available as a separate RSS feed. There is a possibility to track publications which are dealing with things we are interested in.
Publication description tabbed
Site with publication description was splitted into three tabs: Description, Additional Informations, Structure (for group publications).
Optional drop down collection menu
When autosuggest is enabled, during edition of search forms’ text fields, system will give you some suggestions based on attribute values from dictionary.
In 2.2 version, stats module was expanded (fe. tracking stats for particular attributes) and relocated. Basic stats are available for everyone. Detailed stats and information about user which are in digital library (at the moment) were relocated to www admin panel. (description)
Changes in help pages mechanism
DLibra 2.2 introduce changes in help pages mechanism. When user want to get a non-existing help page, application show Default help page (and logs the fact that user wanted to see that help page). You can change the content of help pages (also deafault one) in www admin panel.
In dLibra 2.2 there is a possibility to change content of: help pages, error messages, warnings about document’s format and content of “Information” box on main page. (description)
Import i export the content in www admin panel
Content of help pages, document’s format warnings and error messages can by exported as a XML file. You can also import the content of XML file into the application.
“Information” box content management
You can change the content of “Information” box (which is placed on main page). You can put there: external links, links to digital library resources and links to help pages.
Changes in dLibra server
- The way of publication indexing changed Publication indexing, consisting of two main phases: description indexing and publication content indexing, has been organized in a way to allow the readers find the publication without waiting for content indexing (only the description search).
- Additional information messages and warnings while publication content indexing There is a warning message displayed if updating the main content index file takes too much time. The time limit is set to 288 s which gives a maximum of 300 indexed publications per 24h. There are also information messages shown while indexing publications consisting of many files. They inform about the indexing progress.
- Indexing publications from group publications When the user makes any changes to the root group publication all the publications that belong to that group publication will be reindexed automatically to update their description and / or collection assignment.
- Moving publications between different group publications Group publications which are not root can be moved to other group publications using drag&drop mechanism. Such functionality has been blocked by the server so far.
- Complex management of publication to collection assignment There are some new functions that can be used to check the assignment of all publications from the given directory to the specified collection (recursive), assign or unassign publications from the directory to / from the given collection.
- Replacing a single version of the publication file A new function called replaceVersion has been implemented. It allows replacing a file version to another one and updates the associations with other database tables.
- Full functionality of edition time publishing Setting the edition publishing expiration date has been possible only while adding a new publication to the library. Now it is possible to set the expiration date for any existing edition (a bug correction, not a new functionality).
- Flat structure of the library content directory is no longer supported ContentServer does not contain functions responsible for migrating from old flat structure to the new tree file structure. Only the new way of organizing content files is supported.
- Checking the possibility to secure publication The new function called canSecure has been implemented. It allows checking whether the given publication can be secured.
- Getting information about all attributes in the system A new function has been created to get a list of AttributeInfo objects for all attributes in the digital library.
- Ensuring the uniqueness of a user group The name of a user group must be unique. The correction has been made to check whether a newly created user group uses the existing name.
- New tree structure of attributes The attributes table has been expanded with an additional column for a parent – child association. The highest level attributes do not have parents. All the attribute related functions have been updated to support this functionality.
- Performance improvement in getting the tree structure associations For each of a database table storing attributes, directories, collections and publications there has been an additional table created. Those are used to store the parent – child associations in a flat way. For each entry in the source table (attributes, directories, collections and publications) there are some entries in the parent tables. The entry in the parent table consists of source id, id of the parent and the distance between these elements in the tree. There are no entries for the elements that have no parents.
- Support for Dublin Core using conversion patterns Conversion patterns are stored in the dc-pattern.properties file. Each role corresponding a specific DC attribute can be assigned the combination of one or more attributes used in the library. It means that value for a specific DC role would be a combination of attribute values specified in the conversion pattern file. To support this mechanism there have been additional functions created. They are used for loading / reloading the conversion pattern file at any moment and getting publications’ description in DC format according to the loaded conversion patterns. Additional search index based on the DC format description has been also created.
- Determining the size of files transferred to the content server The way of determining the file size has changed. The information about the real size of the file transferred to the server is updated by calling setVersionSize function while closing the file stream.
- Additional functions associated with OAI-PMH support Some new functions for collecting information about editions in the specified time period have been implemented. These functions allow getting a list of editions from the specified collection and a map associating the editions from the specified collection with their bibliographic descriptions.
- Checking the possibility of replacing publication files A new function isUpdateAvailable has been implemented to check whether one can replace all file of the given publication. The following conditions are verified: there is only one edition of this publication, the edition is not published, there is only one version of each publication file.